Warrington Wolves Foundation, in partnership with the University of Chester, deliver a match day initiative which enables people living with dementia to attend and enjoy Warrington Wolves fixtures in a safe and supported environment.
The scheme is one of the key actions included within the local Dementia Action Plan to help supporters with Dementia to attend games. Students from the University of Chester’s Health and Social Care undergraduate programme – who have received training to become Dementia Friends -accompany fans from the local community, supported living and care homes to the Halliwell Jones Stadium staying by their side for the entire duration of the game.
The Match Buddies initiative has a number of positive social outcomes including:
- Connecting supporters by encouraging social integration of individuals with Dementia into the wider community
- Raising awareness of Dementia amongst Rugby League supporters, Warrington Wolves staff and Game Changer volunteers
- Breaking down perceived barriers, stereotypes and the fear of the unknown by sharing and watching live Rugby League matches together
- Empowering people and building social connections
- Establishing lasting friendships beyond match days
For information on getting involved please contact – email@example.com